Autistic!Sherlock in Elementary: S2E2 - “Solve For X”
"I am an expert on poisons, Watson. I know virtually everything there is to know about them. But I’ve come to learn over the past few years, that there is nothing on this planet quite so toxic as guilt." - Sherlock
- Social niceties (or lack thereof): Sherlock “confuses” Bell for Bella in a text he received in order to convince himself that he’s needed at the crime scene. Sherlock then asks Marcus if his methods have helped Marcus in any way. Marcus replies in a deadpan that the department was thinking of quitting before Sherlock came along.
- Hyperfocus and deduction: Sherlock sniffs the wall of Felix Soto’s home, and recognizes the smell as cam phosphor (an ingredient in a type of invisible ink), because it smelt like burnt matchsticks. Later on, when Sherlock confronts Joan about visiting Gerald Castoro’s grave, her former patient, says that the smell of carnations on her sleeves gave her away.
- Need for companionship: Sherlock infodumps to Joan about Harlan Emple, and the mathematical model Harlan came up with regarding crime in 1999; they’ve been communicating ever since.
- Sensory issues: Sherlock won’t go jogging with Joan because, “the river smells like rancid cod”.
- A study in Sherlock’s birth: One of the tattoos he has, located on his lower abdomen, is the symbol of the Scorpio zodiac sign. It’s important to mention that all the tattoos featured on Sherlock’s body are genuinely those of the actor who plays him (who is a Scorpio) - and that we shouldn’t equate the actor to the character, and vice versa. Setting that aside, since it is a tattoo on Sherlock’s body, one could make an observation as to when Sherlock’s potential birthday is (and is unrelated to Sherlock being Autistic). Leslie Klinger places Doylean Sherlock’s birthday as 6th January in his annotated Sherlock Holmes edition. Since the Scorpio tattoo conflicts with Klinger’s date, which should the audience believe? If the Scorpio tattoo is meant to signify Sherlock’s own birth placement, then he would not have been born in January. Could he have gotten the tattoo in memory of another? It’s not impossible. One could have a theory that Klinger’s date is correct, and that the Scorpio tattoo is in memory of Sherlock’s mother, a character not yet introduced in Elementary canon.